Yesterday I received great 2012 news, a message from Pamela Zimmer awarding me the Versatile Blogger Award. Along with receiving the award came the responsibility of writing 7 things about myself that haven’t been covered in my blog.
Here they are:
1) I grew up in Fort Scott, formerly a fort established in 1842 in the southeastern part of what was Bloody Kansas. It is the location of the #1 National Cemetery, the home town of author/photographer Gordon Parks, and the current home of many exceptional and wonderful people, including my mom (who is the inspiration of my blog, “Things I Want to Tell My Mother.”)
2) I moved to Colorado Springs, and for 30 years I taught high school English, literature, speech and creative writing (and for part of the time coached debate and Mock Trial). Despite a handful of impossible students, parents and administrators along the way, I wouldn’t have traded this for any other career.
3) Because of this blog, I’ve met talented, insightful, surprising and creative bloggers from all over the country, plus Canada and Finland.
4) My published writing credits–short stories, articles, essays, memoir pieces and a play, ranging from mainstream to religious to horror to children’s to True Confessions–may make me seem like I have multiple personalities. Actually…
5) I have a short attention span for writing topics, and I love trying a variety of genres.
6) I am proud to belong to Colorado Authors League, SCBWI, National League of American Pen Women, and the lesser known but equally important and inspiring Wednesday Wonder Writers (which also includes Thursday now).
7) My favorite “other” name is Mor-Mor (Swedish for mother’s mother), especially when it’s accompanied with hugs and kisses from our grandchildren.
The tradition of the Versatile Blogger Award is to list other blogs that deserve this award. As it turns out, some of my favorites have already received this recognition: pamelazimmer.wordpress.com; lesliehobson.wordpress.com; susanwritesprecise.com; nineteenfortyeight.wordpress.com.
Here are four more great blogs that deserve The Versatile Blogger Award:
– http://tomstronach.blogspot.com (of Essex UK)
13 responses to “THE VERSATILE BLOGGER AWARD”
I guess I knew you were in Colorado…but somehow I had forgotten. 🙂
Thank you so much for the award…I’m really touched…because we haven’t been connected very long…I’m thrilled that you feel my posts are valuable enough to deserve the Versatile Blogger Award. I had actually just received it a week ago from another blogger and handed it out to several other blogs…now I am shamefaced :(…since I realize that I missed yours…which is definitely one of my favorites. 🙂
Congrats on winning the award…you deserve it!!!!!
Thanks for mentioning all the writer’s groups you belong to here in CO…I didn’t know they existed…I’m part of SCBWI (but can’t find time to attend many of the meetings) although I already don’t have time to sleep…so I doubt I can join or do anything more than what is already on my plate. 🙂
OhNo, now I’m embarrassed. I’m a member of SCBWI and after reading your comment I realized I’d left it out. I have no excuse because it’s one of my favorite writing organizations. Have you been to any of their workshop/retreats? I’ve attended two weekends at Mt. St. Francis, and they were wonderful. Thanks for nudging my tired brain!
Thanks Marilyn – feel quite honored to have been given this award. I agree with Vivian – being touched since we haven’t been connected long. It was nice getting to know more about you and I love that you write letters to your mother too, like I do. I hope (this weekend) to post my award and list the seven facts of myself – your seven have given me ideas of what to say! Thank you! I’ll let you know when it’s posted. Thank you again!
Huckleberries! Congratulations. Your blog is wonderful and any attention it receives is well deserved.
Thank you for the mention. I am honored.
Congrats, Mor-Mor Marylin. Well deserved honor. What a list of genres! You certainly are versatile as well as talented. Hope your attention span stays with this blog for a long time to come.
Wonderful, Marylin. Always great to get to know my blogger friends a little better. 🙂 Can’t wait to check out all the other wonderful blogs you mentioned.
Hi Marilyn – I posted my Blogger Award!
Congratulations Marilyn! Your mother’s proud of you again!
Thank you, Anna Marie. I hope she is, because I’m certainly proud of her and all she’s done. Writing a record of her goodness and kindness so that her great-grandchildren can read and understand what wonderful genes they inherited…that’s the goal! When they visit her now, they can’t see or experience the vibrant, funny, smart Mary Shepherd I knew and remember.
The number 8 thing would be the fact that you are the best mom in the whole world and also the best-est friend I could ever wish for. Although my talents are very different from yours…I know I am passionate about mine the way you are about yours! We are two peas in a pod…unless u count Grace then we are 3..
and if you count grandma we are 4! Anyway you look at it…we are amazing!!!
Aw, you just made my day, sweetie. From Grace’s first baby picture in Grandma’s arms, with you on one side and me on the other (to make sure Grandma didn’t drop Grace), we made a 4-peas-in-a-pod, happy 4-generation picture. Somewhere in the picture we’ll have to make room for Gannon, too, though. He’s such a sweetie, and when he kisses his great-grandmother (his Mor-Mor-Mor) he brings a whole new charm and energy to the equation. Yep, anyway you look at it… we’re amazing. Thank you!