Yesterday I received great 2012 news, a message from Pamela Zimmer awarding me the Versatile Blogger Award. Along with receiving the award came the responsibility of writing 7 things about myself that haven’t been covered in my blog.
Here they are:
1) I grew up in Fort Scott, formerly a fort established in 1842 in the southeastern part of what was Bloody Kansas. It is the location of the #1 National Cemetery, the home town of author/photographer Gordon Parks, and the current home of many exceptional and wonderful people, including my mom (who is the inspiration of my blog, “Things I Want to Tell My Mother.”)
2) I moved to Colorado Springs, and for 30 years I taught high school English, literature, speech and creative writing (and for part of the time coached debate and Mock Trial). Despite a handful of impossible students, parents and administrators along the way, I wouldn’t have traded this for any other career.
3) Because of this blog, I’ve met talented, insightful, surprising and creative bloggers from all over the country, plus Canada and Finland.
4) My published writing credits–short stories, articles, essays, memoir pieces and a play, ranging from mainstream to religious to horror to children’s to True Confessions–may make me seem like I have multiple personalities. Actually…
5) I have a short attention span for writing topics, and I love trying a variety of genres.
6) I am proud to belong to Colorado Authors League, SCBWI, National League of American Pen Women, and the lesser known but equally important and inspiring Wednesday Wonder Writers (which also includes Thursday now).
7) My favorite “other” name is Mor-Mor (Swedish for mother’s mother), especially when it’s accompanied with hugs and kisses from our grandchildren.
The tradition of the Versatile Blogger Award is to list other blogs that deserve this award. As it turns out, some of my favorites have already received this recognition: pamelazimmer.wordpress.com; lesliehobson.wordpress.com; susanwritesprecise.com; nineteenfortyeight.wordpress.com.
Here are four more great blogs that deserve The Versatile Blogger Award:
– http://tomstronach.blogspot.com (of Essex UK)